GREEK CARNIVAL “KAPETANIOS” 2020
We invite you on Amorgos the Greek Carnival and “Kathara Deftera” (“Clean Monday”), from February 27th to March 5th 2020!
On the last Sunday of Greek Carnival period (APOKRIES), a special custom takes place in the villages of Aegiali – Amorgos, called “Kapetanios”, while on “Clean Monday”, there is the traditional kite flying and picnic, in one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. Seven days of celebrations and fun, amid one of the best seasons of Amorgos! You will enjoy excellent accommodation in 5***** Aegialis Hotel & Spa and you will rejuvenate in the facilities of Lalon Idor Spa.
- Departure from Piraeus port by Blue Star Ferry at 17.30 and Arrival on Amorgos.
- Transfer to Aegialis Hotel & Spa.
- Welcome drink and snack.
- Open your terrace window to the Big Blue! After Breakfast, Tour of the Hotel Spa facilities and yoga Shalas.
- Walk to Aegiali Village to explore the area.
- Return to the hotel for a cooking class and lunch.
- In the afternoon, one hour yoga, and relax at the Spa.
- Dinner and Movie night “The Big Blue”.
- Morning yoga, in one of the Shalas with unlimited sea view.
- After breakfast, departure by Mini bus to See and participate at the Carvival that takes place at Katapola port.
- Explore the town and visit the proto Christian church of Panagia Katapoliani. On the return, stop at the old village “Asfodilitis” where you can see art curved in the rocks.
- Picnic lunch by the old chapel of St. Nicholas.
- Return to the hotel and relaxation at Lalon Idor Spa. Dinner.
- Early yoga class, before breakfast.
- Visit the village Tholaria, at the church of Saint Anargiri and the Byzantine Museum.
- Walk to Saint Dimitrios chapel, with a group of people, all in traditional costumes where the custom of “Kapetanios” begins. There, the newly chosen “Kapetanios”-Captain- gets dressed by the men of the village and is escorted back to the village. Girls in traditional costumes meet the procession at the entrance of the village and follow up until the main square, where the “Kapetanissa” (Captain’s Wife) is chosen by the Captain and the celebrations begin with music and dance.
- Morning Yoga and Breakfast.
- Transfer to the beach of Agios Pavlos for picnic with traditional dishes of the day (“Sarakostiana”) and the traditional flying of kites, live music and a lot of dance.
- Return to the hotel in the afternoon and relaxation at Lalon Idor Spa.
- Projection of films from Amorgos Film Festival.
- Yoga class and Breakfast.
- Transfer to the beautiful village of Lagada, and walk through the surrounded by mountains paths, full of herbs and flowers to Tholaria Village.
- Introduction to the herbs of Amorgos. First stop will be Panagia Epanochoriani, where the big festival happens on the 15th of August. From there you will have the chance to enjoy unique views over the Aegiali valley and Tholaria.
- Picnic under the cool shadow of the over 100 years pine trees. Continue to Tholaria village, where you will visit a traditional house, with its oven, cellar, and a distillery of essential oils from Amorgos herbs. Return to the hotel and relax in the Spa.
- Yoga and Breakfast.
- Full-day island tour.
– Visit the 1000-year-old Monastery of Panagia Chozoviotissa, built in the cliffs 300 meters above the sea and the Byzantine Monastery of Saint Georgios Valsamitis, built upon the ruins of an ancient water oracle, dedicated to God Apollo.
– Visit the capital of the island, Chora, with its picturesque alleys, 40 churches and 12 windmills on top of the surrounding hills. There is a Cultural Museum and an Archaeological Museum if interested to visit.
- Picnic lunch at the most beautiful terrace in Chora, overlooking the Big Blue.
- Return to the Hotel & Dinner and Film Night – “Mama Mia”.
- Early Breakfast.
- Transfer to the port of Aegiali for departure by Blue Star Ferry at 7 am.
- Arrival in Piraeus port Athens at 15.00 hr.
The package includes
- Welcome drink and snack
- Seven (7) night accommodation in Superior double room with sea view
- Breakfast daily, served on buffet (American-Greek type)
- Lunch and dinner daily (Full board).
- Arrival and departure transfers on Amorgos (port-hotel-port)
- One Greek cooking class
- Full day island tour
- One 30 min. aroma therapy relaxing massage with Amorgos essential oils.
- Free use of Lalon Idor Spa facilities (sauna, hammam, Jacuzzi, indoor heated sea water swimming pool, fitness centre)
- Participation in the Carnival parade in Katapola with transfers.
- Participation in the festivities of “Kapetanios” custom with transfers.
- Participation in the picnic of “Clean Monday” with Kite flying with transfers.
- One yoga class every day
- 10% discount on Spa treatments
- Unlimited Internet access
- Traditional celebration with live music (violin and lute)
Terms & conditions
- Offer is available from February 27th to March 5th 2020, upon availability;
- Tourist accommodation tax of 4€ per room per night is NOT included;
- The package includes full board basis, including breakfast buffet, lunch and dinner;
7-nights package price
Interested in this offer?
Get more details in your inbox!
Get more details in your inbox!